This dog though. He is harder to get up off the couch than I am sometimes!
The Humane Society that I volunteer at has an annual “Walk and Wag” that I will be participating in this year. But I can only go if I raise my goal amount of $200. If I get to go I can bring Jackson and take lots of pictures of all the adorable animals that will be there! Now, as if the pictures aren’t incentive enough to donate, here are some more!
If you’re a cat person:
- Animals here stay until they get a home. Each cat costs about $350 because it takes an average of TWO YEARS for an adult cat to be adopted out.
- Their Trap-Neuter-Return program is genius. In the past (and I’m sure many shelters still do this) feral cats would get trapped and then put down. With this program they neuter feral cats to help keep the feral population down and then make sure they’re being taken care of. It’s pretty awesome.
- Barn Buddies program - For cats that don’t really want to be inside cats but are friendly. They go to people who can provide shelter and food but are able to let the kitties run their own little independent lives.
If you’re a dog person:
- THEY TAKE PITBULLS. Both Jackson AND Mason have come from this shelter and they are stock full of pits all of the time because they are one of the few shelters that will take pits.
- They have a pitbull drop in class. Where you network with other pit owners and make playdates!
Programs that benefit all of their animals:
- THEY HAVE THE HIGHEST SAVE RATE OF AN OPEN ADMISSION SHELTER IN MICHIGAN. Holy shit.
- They take in all animals. There’s a horse and bunny up for adoption right now.
- Bountiful Bowls program helps owners keep their pets in the home by giving them free food. Also treats and sometimes litter when the shelter has extra of it.
- Their clinic is low cost and the money made from it provides for 29% of the funding for the Humane Society.
- They have a 24/7 hotline to help injured animals
- They have a animal cruelty and rescue division that not only investigates but works with police to follow cases to prosecution.
- They reunite lost pets with their owners! This is actually how we first discovered this shelter… when Kendall took off one day and was brought there.
- Their education programs for kids and adults. Schools visit on field-trips they have a summer camp, host birthday parties, etc.
- Have a hotline for pet owners to call if they have questions for pet behavior and whatnot.
- If you are escaping an abusive relationship and need shelter for your animal, they can help you. They take in animals in emergency situations for up to two weeks.
There’s probably more that I’m forgetting but yeah. If you have any questions, shoot me an ask. Please donate if you can and reblog regardless. The more people who see this the more likely I am to reach my goal. Thank you for helping to save the animals in Michigan!
Donations account for 50% of their budget. They don’t receive any federal or state money. They don’t receive any money from other humane societies. Adoption fees only cover 20% of their financial budget.
PLEASE donate today. The anonymous donor is going to match all donations made from now until April 5th for up to $10,000. Why the random out of the blue donation? The donor read about Maverick’s incredible story. And was able to see all the work HSHV did and how instrumental they were in the prosecution of the woman who abused and neglected that beautiful dog. Maverick is now in a happy furever home. http://www.hshv.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=9572&news_iv_ctrl=1541#.UVuqb6vwLy8
This is how gently he takes treats. You should see what happens when you leave a plate of food next to him. And good luck getting him to take a rawhide from you.
True mystery as to how I leave this sweet face and head to work every day. #project365 #day16
This is what happens when you refuse to snuggle with Mason, he finds a pillow to snuggle up with instead.
Jackson made a new friend today. She is the cutest bulldog in the entire world. (Taken with Instagram)
Jackson got a surprise playdate with three other pits yesterday! He was very happy :)
Jackson “Hey wasn’t that my bone? Yeah it was my bone. Sorry kid.” As he steals the poor bone from Chappy. (Taken with Instagram)
Jackson finds a ball. Mason is automatically interested in anything that Jackson shows interest in. He gnaws on Jackson’s leg to see if that will convince him to give him the ball.
It doesn’t. Mason attempts to take it by force. Jackson just ignores him.
Mason says, “Fine. I’ll sit on you until you give it to me then.”
Jackson continues to give no fucks and Mason is too stubborn for his own good. They stay like this until it’s time to eat.